About the Institute
Join us for the Mission Investing Institute and Action Cohorts, a six-month virtual learning program presented by the National Center for Family Philanthropy in partnership with Mission Investors Exchange and Philanthropy California. This learning opportunity will deepen your knowledge in impact investing, build your relationships with leaders in philanthropy, and learn practical tools to implement an effective impact investing strategy. Beginning October 19, 2021, this six-month peer learning experience is designed to help philanthropy professionals gain exposure to approaches that will help them get started in impacting investing and advance their practice.
Through a core curriculum supplemented with three small group cohorts, participants will hear from industry peers, apply the learnings with fellow philanthropy and finance professionals, and learn from seasoned investors in the field. Sessions will cover topics including, but not limited to:
- Introduction to Impact Investing & the Spectrum of Capital
- The Equity Imperative
- Governance & Program Design
- Activating your Portfolio for Impact
- Impact Measurement, Management & Reporting
- Investment Across Asset Classes
- Pipeline & Diligence
- Resources & Implementation (cohorts focus)
This program has limited availability, so interested participants are encouraged to apply early. Applications open on May 18, 2021 and close June 30, 2021. They will be evaluated on a rolling basis and will be considered based on ability to commit to the sessions and your cohort, your role and type of foundation, and the overall mix of the applicants, with a goal of offering three diverse, yet cohesive cohorts.
Session and Cohort Meeting Dates: October 2021 – March 2022*
|Week 1: October 19-20, 2021|
|Week 2: November 16-17, 2021|
|Week 3: December 7-8, 2021|
|Week 4: January 25-26, 2022|
|Week 5: February 15-16, 2022|
|Week 6: March 15-16, 2022|
*Please note that exact dates and timing are subject to change and will be confirmed in the coming months. Each learning session and action cohort meeting is expected to run for approximately 1.5-2 hours midday for most time zones (e.g., 12:30-2:30 PM ET).
Learning Sessions and Action Cohorts
Week 1: October 19-20, 2021
Week 2: November 16-17, 2021
Week 3: December 7-8, 2021
Week 4: January 25-26, 2022
Week 5: February 15-16, 2022
Week 6: March 15-16, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should attend?
- This program is created for foundation leaders who are new to an existing impact investing program at their foundation or are considering creating an impact investing program at their foundation
- C-Suite (CEOs, CFOs/CIOs, Chiefs of Strategy), Trustees, Executive Directors
- Mid-level professionals directly involved in or building impact investing programs
- Also welcome to apply: Representatives from large nonprofit endowments, family offices, corporations, or community foundations who are working in impact investing.
- The Institute and accompanying Action Cohorts require a high level of commitment from participants. Three cohorts of approximately 20 people each will work together over six months, therefore those wishing for an intensive and action-oriented experience are highly encouraged to apply.
How do I register?
- There is a two-step process:
- (1) Before you register, please complete an application. This will allow us to verify eligibility and place attendees into an Action Cohort that fits their needs.
- (2) Upon notification of acceptance you will receive an email with instructions on how to register for the program, including payment of the registration fee.
- The application deadline is June 30, 2021
- All applicants will be notified of their acceptance by August 8, 2021
- The final registration deadline is September 8, 2021
What should I expect in the evaluation of my application?
- Applications will be approved based on pre-established factors including:
- Ability to commit to an intensive virtual program
- Foundation type, with preference to family and private foundations
- Role at your organization, including ability to advocate or influence the creation or expansion of an impact investing program
- Level of experience, i.e., those new to foundations with existing programs or foundations with high likelihood of developing a new impact investing program
- The overall pool of applicants, with the goal of creating cohesive Action Cohorts
- Geographic and racial diversity across the program
When will I know if my application is accepted?
- Applicants will be notified of their acceptance from MIE on a rolling basis and no later than August 8, 2021. Upon acceptance, applicants will receive instructions to help them register for this program.
- Applicants will be requested to either register or decline their acceptances by September 8, 2021
- Any applicants who are declined will be added to a waiting list and notified by September 10 if an opening in an Action Cohort becomes available.
How much does it cost to participate?
For this six-month, total of 12 session offering, the non-member registration fee is $3,000. Members of Mission Investors Exchange, the National Center for Family Philanthropy, or Philanthropy California can register for a fee of $2,000.
What if I can no longer attend the program? Is there a transfer policy for this event?
The deadline for cancellation refunds is September 15, 2021. After this date, no refunds can be issued. Cancellations are subject to a 1.9% processing fee. All cancellations MUST be submitted in writing and emailed to Michael Goodman at email@example.com. Individuals who need to cancel are encouraged to transfer their registration to another eligible attendee. The substitution deadline is September 15, 2021.