Can we change our registered agent?

Our foundation is incorporated in the State of California, but the legal address is in the state of Colorado. We have a registered agent in California, an attorney whom I have found very frustrating to work with since he doesn’t respond to calls or emails. I’m emailing to ask if a registered agent has to be an attorney or if it could be somebody else. We have an excellent relationship with our broker who is also located in California. Could we ask him to be our registered agent?

Good question and an easy answer.  The registered agent can be the broker.  It does not have to be a lawyer.  The only requirement is that the person reside and have a physical address in the state of California.

There is usually a template form that the Secretary of State provides that can be filed to change the registered agent.