2018 Trustee Education Institute: The Signature Seminar for Family Foundation Board Members

Register Today
When
Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 10:00 AM until Thursday, March 8, 2018, 01:00 PM EST
Duration
3 days
Who should attend

The Trustee Education Institute is designed and offered exclusively for current and prospective family foundation board members.

Price

Eligibility: Please note that attendance is limited to current and prospective family foundation board members only.


Early Bird-Friends of the Family & Funders-ends January 15       $1195

Friends of the Family & Funders-starting January 16                     $1395

Non-Friends of the Family & Non-Funders                                      $1795


Note: Cancellations received through Friday, February 5 will receive a full refund less $150 fee. No refund will be available beginning February 6.

Contact info

Accommodations: NCFP is in the process of securing a room block at a local hotel. Special rate details will be provided.

Description

Register Now!

NCFP's Trustee Education Institute provides a comprehensive introduction to all of the key legal, investment, ethical, grantmaking, and family dynamics issues facing family foundation board members. Featuring a faculty made up of NCFP's senior staff and highly respected philanthropy experts, this three day, intensive seminar will cover:

  • What does it mean to be a steward of both the public’s trust and your family’s legacy?
  • How do you bring your personal giving identity to the foundation’s collective grantmaking?
  • What are the qualities and responsibilities of effective trustees and exceptional boards?
  • How do you navigate family dynamics at the board table?
  • What essential legal rules do you need to know, and what are the more difficult ethical issues you may confront over time?
  • How can you grow into a leader for your family’s philanthropy and get the most from this truly special opportunity?

Featured Sessions and Faculty at the 2018 Trustee Education Institute Include:

ginny-espositoGood Governance: The Foundation Imperative  |  Featured Presenter: Virginia Esposito, President, National Center for Family Philanthropy

Governance is a moving target – but nothing is more important to a family foundation’s overall success than good governance. Bring your own questions and dilemmas to this interactive conversation with NCFP’s founder and president on the policies and practices of effective – and excellent – family foundation boards.

david-grantMission-Driven Assessment | Featured Presenter: David Grant, Author, The Social Profit Handbook: The Essential Guide to Setting Goals, Assessing Outcomes, and Achieving Success for Mission-Driven Organizations

Assessing the work of your foundation and board should not be considered optional – assessment provides you with a sense of where you need to shift gears, where you need to invest additional time and resources (including where your investments have paid off!), and where you need to step back and start over again. Learn about a variety of available tools and checklists for assessing your board.

andrew-schulzFiduciary Responsibilities and Legal Pitfalls  |  Featured Presenter: Andrew Schulz, General Counsel, Arabella Advisors

Grasp the fundamentals of federal and state law regulating foundations including self-dealing, payout, fiscal agency and excise tax. Arcane concepts made accessible – and fun – by one of the nation’s leading experts on family foundation tax law.

Stephanie-Cohn-Rupp-85x85Impact Investing  |  Featured Presenter: Stephanie Cohn Rupp, Threshold Group

Payout requires you give 5% of your assets annually to further the foundation’s mission. Get a “soup to nuts” introduction on investing the remaining 95% to do the same! Explore how to allocate assets, write an investment policy, conduct research and choose an investment manager to align with the foundation’s values.

Full 2018 Agenda Coming Soon!

Download the 2016 Trustee Education Institute agenda

What past participants say:

Attending NCFP's Trustee Education Institute has given me more confidence in my role as a new board member of our foundation. I feel I have the proper information and invigoration now to go forward as a efficient and constructive member of the board. Thank you so much!

Jackie Hendrickson, Trustee, Sewell Family Foundation

Excellent speakers rotate through a well designed agenda. This is a comprehensive program, touching on most everything on trustees' minds. The icing on the cake is the open forum inviting discussion of topics that had not been addressed.

Barbara Braun Schoenfeld, Co-President, Sand Family Fund
Back to top