Serving in the leadership staffing role for a family foundation can be one of the best jobs you’ll ever have, but it is not without challenges and complications. This first-of-its-kind NCFP peer retreat provides a unique opportunity for new family foundation CEOs to reflect on the initial months and years of their service, connect with a community of dedicated colleagues and explore actionable strategies to lead a successful philanthropic effort.
Whether you are in the first months of your new position or have been at this work for a few years, this retreat will offer a safe and productive space along with tools and resources to help you determine what is working well and where tough challenges remain. Specific topics to be discussed at the retreat will be identified on-site by participants, with several long-time CEOs on hand to serve as mentors and guides, facilitated by incoming NCFP President and CEO Nick Tedesco and new Senior Fellow Ginny Esposito.
As part of this select group of 20-25 peers, you’ll brainstorm practical and actionable solutions and approaches to a broad range of common CEO roles, such as:
- Managing power dynamics between board, staff, and grantees
- Navigating family dynamics while maximizing the foundation’s grantmaking impact
- Working effectively with your board chair and board committees
- Addressing racial equity and diversity concerns among board and staff
- Setting up a meaningful assessment process for yourself, your staff, and your board
- Developing the network and resources needed to set and achieve critical strategic plans
- Identifying, mentoring, and supporting next generation leaders
- Finding time for personal growth and renewal
- … and other topics identified by the group!
As a special bonus, all attendees will receive a complimentary set of NCFP’s CEO Leadership Guides, including the groundbreaking study, The Family Foundation CEO: Crafting Consensus Out of Complexity.
Alexa Cortes Culwell
Alexa Cortes Culwell is the co-founder of Open Impact and a longtime philanthropy advisor, speaker, and…View Profile
Virginia M. Esposito
Virginia M. Esposito, is the founder and president of the National Center for Family Philanthropy. In…View Profile
President, The Brinson Foundation Jim Parsons is the President of The Brinson Foundation, a private family…View Profile
Nicholas A. Tedesco
Nicholas (Nick) Tedesco is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the National Center for Family…View Profile