Each board member of the organization shall be responsible for:
- Fully understanding and committing to the mission, goals, and objectives of the organization.
- Fully understanding the roles and responsibilities of the Board of Directors.
- Fully understanding the roles and responsibilities of the staff.
- Fully understanding the day-to-day activities of the organization.
- Preparing for and attending all meetings of the Board of Directors. This includes reading materials, preparing for questions, and being prepared to vote on grants.
- Providing general advice and assistance to the organization upon request by Board members and/or staff.
- Providing reports, materials, and other items associated with Board responsibilities and activities in a timely manner.
- Informing the Board of all actual and potential conflicts of interest relating to the general purposes and activities of the organization and to specific issues before the board.
- Developing policies, procedures and regulations for the operation of the Foundation, and monitor the Foundation’s financial health, programs and overall performance.
- Other responsibilities as requested by the Board of Directors, the Board President, or other officers of the Board.
- Oversee board and executive committee meetings
- Strengthen family unity, foster respect for family history and ensure effective succession planning
- Foster and protect a safe environment for open communication and inquiry; ensure due process
- Work in partnership with the executive director to make sure board resolutions are carried out
- Call special meetings, if necessary
- Assist executive director in preparing agenda for board meetings
- Assist executive director in conducting new board director orientation
- Oversee searches for new staff
- Coordinate executive director’s annual performance evaluation
- Coordinate periodic board assessment with the executive director
- Act as an alternate spokesperson for the organization
- Periodically consult with board directors on their roles and help them assess their performance
Board Vice President:
- Attend all board meetings
- Carry out special assignments, as requested by the board president
- Understand the responsibilities of the board president and be able to perform these duties in the president’s absence
- Attend all board meetings
- Maintain all board records and ensure their accuracy and safety
- Review board minutes
- Assume responsibilities of the president in the absence of the board vice president
- Have a thorough knowledge of the organization and a personal commitment to its goals and objectives
- Understand financial accounting for nonprofit organizations
- Serve as financial officer of the organization
- Manage the board’s review of and action related to the board’s financial responsibilities
- Work with the executive director to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the board on a timely basis
- Assist the executive director in preparing the annual budget and presenting the budget to the board for approval