This Content Collection features NCFP research, webinars, and additional resources to use as your foundation or family considers its overall strategy and approach to philanthropy.
Developing or Renewing Your Foundation Strategy
Foundation strategy encompasses the philosophical and practical considerations of a family’s philanthropy. What values does the family share, and how do they translate those values into their giving? How do the staff and board make the choices needed to develop a strategy that achieves impact and reflects the family’s vision?
Strategic, Responsive, or Both?Article
Strategic Philanthropy: Maximizing Family Engagement and Social ImpactPassages Issue Briefs
Many foundations develop or reassess their strategy through a strategic planning process. Below are sample strategic plan that show a wide range of planning processes and outcomes.
- Strategic Framework 2019 to 2021 (McKnight Fdn)
- Strategic Plan (Ahrens Foundation, 2017 2019)
- Family Foundation Strategic Plan Template (NCFP, 2017)
- Strategic Plan (Overbrook Foundation, 2016)
- Strategic Framework (Wilburforce Fdn, 2014 to 2025)
These case studies illustrate how families have developed and changed their philanthropic strategies:
- Family Foundations and Strategic Philanthropy: the Goradia Family’s Process
- Creating Choices Before Making Choices: One Family Foundation’s Journey to Finding a Strategic Focus
- The Tow Foundation: Revamping the Juvenile Justice System Through Advocacy
- Learning Together with the Hilton Foundation
- The Noyce Foundation: Ten Core Principles for Hands-on Philanthropy
- The Brinson Foundation’s Commitment to Living Its Values
- Mission Statement and Guiding Principles: Ten Commandments of the Bernstein Family Foundation
Other Related Content Collections
In addition to the above resources, NCFP’s Knowledge Center features a variety of other Content Collections which inform the practice of strategic philanthropy. These include: